What are the Benefits of Having a Neck Lift?
When you look in the mirror, are you unhappy with the appearance of your neck? Heredity, gravity, environmental conditions, stress, and more can all lead to wrinkling of the neck skin, a double chin, or jowls that make us appear older than we feel. A neck lift, also called a lower rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the neck to restore a more youthful neck contour. Read on to learn more about this procedure and how it may benefit you.
First, let’s go over what to expect during a neck lift. Depending on the amount of change that you desire, you can undergo a traditional neck lift or a limited incision neck lift.
A traditional neck lift incision begins near the hairline at the level of the sideburn, continues around the ear, and ends in the posterior hair. A limited incision neck lift involves a smaller length incision which is placed behind the ear and into the posterior hairline. The location of these incisions is very favorable as most scars become invisible over time and many patients are still able to wear their hair in an updo with confidence following a neck lift.
Incisions will be closed with sutures, which are removed within a week. Swelling and bruising typically last for several weeks and improves with time. Your results will become more noticeable once the swelling decreases.
Benefits of Having a Neck Lift
There are many different benefits of having a neck lift procedure by an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon, including:
- Tightened underlying neck muscles to correct platysmal banding
- Reduction of excess skin which gives you a younger and slimmer appearance
- Smoothens skin by pulling skin tighter, softening lines and wrinkles
- Results in minimal scarring which is hidden in the hairline and behind the ears
- Helps eliminate lax skin, which diet and exercise alone cannot
- Boosts your confidence and self-esteem
- Has a short recovery period, as most patients can return to most normal activities within a few weeks
Are you interested in learning more about the neck lift procedure and if it is right for you? If so, contact Tucson Plastic Surgery today to schedule your consultation appointment with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.